10 January, 2014

Quick Thought

Hi.  My name is Ben.  (Hi, Ben)  I'm a missionary and a pastor.  It's difficult for me to sit down and spend quality time with God on a regular basis.  (applause)

So that applause isn't because I think people would be happy about my confession, it's just part of how I imagine a support group greets a new member.  I wanted to share this struggle because as the saying goes, "Confession is good for the soul".


This morning I experienced a conflict of greater-than-normal intensity regarding taking some time to read the Bible.  I really didn't want to.  I wanted to play on the internet, check facebook & 9gag.  However, a still, small voice I've learned to heed persistently said, "Come and spend some time with Me."  I didn't want to.  My resistance grew stronger and stronger and that voice just repeated itself.  I finally realized that if He was being so persistent, then He must have something important to tell me.  He did, and I wanted to share it with you.

"Ben, I want you to know how great a struggle I have on your behalf... and for all those who have not personally seen My face, that y'all's hearts may be encouraged, having been knit together in love, and attaining to all the wealth that comes from the full assurance of understanding, resulting in a true knowledge of God's mystery, that is, Christ Himself, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.  I say this so that no one will delude you with persuasive argument.  For even though I am absent in body, nevertheless I am with you in spirit, rejoicing to see your good discipline and the stability of your faith in Christ." Col. 2:1-5

So I did a little editing, but that's how I read that passage, as if God were speaking those words to me about me.  He wants to encourage me, to have me gain everything that comes from knowing Christ who is the revelation of God's ancient mystery and the storehouse of wisdom and knowledge.  He wants me to stand firm in this, and to know that He is with me and that He rejoices in me.  

I don't want to accept that last bit, but I have to.  God rejoices in me.  Guess what?  If you know Christ and are walking with Him, God rejoices in you too.

No comments: